Out with the old, in with the new
ExpressionEngine has been a popular content management system (CMS) for many years, but in recent years, it has lost some of its popularity to newer and more powerful CMS platforms. If you're looking to migrate from ExpressionEngine to a modern CMS that offers more features and flexibility, Craft CMS might be the right choice for you. Here's what you need to know about migrating from ExpressionEngine to Craft CMS.
Why Migrate from ExpressionEngine to Craft CMS?
Craft CMS is a modern and flexible CMS that offers a number of advantages over ExpressionEngine. Some of the key benefits of Craft CMS include:
- A modern, intuitive interface that is easy to use
- A flexible content modeling system that allows you to create custom content types and fields
- Built-in support for advanced features like localization, multi-site management, and user permissions
- A powerful templating system that is easy to use and customize
- A thriving community of developers and designers who create and share plugins, templates, and other resources
All of these benefits make Craft CMS a great choice for organizations that are looking to take their content management to the next level.
Migrating from ExpressionEngine to Craft CMS
Migrating from ExpressionEngine to Craft CMS can be a complex process, but there are a few key steps that you can follow to make the transition as smooth as possible:
- Evaluate your existing content and data structure: Before you begin the migration process, it's important to evaluate your existing content and data structure to determine how it will translate to Craft CMS. Make a list of all the content types and fields you currently have in ExpressionEngine and how they will map to Craft CMS.
- Plan your migration strategy: Once you have a clear understanding of your existing content and data structure, it's time to plan your migration strategy. This will involve deciding which content to migrate, how to map your existing content types and fields to Craft CMS, and how to handle any custom functionality or features that you have built in ExpressionEngine.
- Set up your Craft CMS environment: Once you have a migration plan in place, it's time to set up your Craft CMS environment. This will involve installing Craft CMS, configuring your database, and setting up any necessary plugins or modules.
- Migrate your content and data: With your Craft CMS environment set up, it's time to migrate your content and data from ExpressionEngine. Depending on the size and complexity of your website, this may involve using a third-party migration tool or writing custom scripts to move your data over to Craft CMS.
- Test and refine: Once your content has been migrated, it's important to thoroughly test your Craft CMS website to ensure that everything is working as expected. This will involve checking that your content types and fields are displaying correctly, that your custom functionality is working, and that your website is running smoothly.
Migrating from ExpressionEngine to Craft CMS is a complex process that requires careful planning and execution. However, by following the steps outlined in this post, you can make a smooth transition to a more powerful and flexible CMS platform. If you're interested in migrating from ExpressionEngine to Craft CMS but need help, reach out to us at BrillianceNW. Our team of experts has completed countless migrations and can help ensure that your new website meets all of your requirements. Don't hesitate to contact us for assistance with your migration project.
The Element API plugin is a very powerful tool that you can use for quickly exposing your data structures to an external source.Find out more
Here at Brilliance, we LOVE CraftCMS. Our clients love it as well.Find out more
A brief introduction to consensus mechanisms and why proof of stake is the right move for Ethereum.Find out more